Welcome to Sonbhadra
Traveling from Delhi (5-day itinerary)
- Take a morning flight from Delhi (Indira Gandhi International Airport) to Varanasi (Lal Bahadur Shastri International Airport). Alternatively, you can take a train from New Delhi Railway Station to Deendayal Upadhaya Railway Station (earlier known as Mughalsarai Railway Station).
- After arriving in Varanasi, take a self-drive/rental car (Zoom car) from Varanasi and drive through SH-5 from Varanasi to Robertsganj in Sonbhadra. Enjoy the beautiful smooth drive. Visit the stunning Lakhaniya Dari caves and waterfall enroute – the cave paintings date back to medieval ages.
- Enjoy the lunch at one of the dhabas (Saavan Dhabha for non-veg or Bajrangi Dhabha for veg being the famous ones) on SH-5 near Robertsganj.
- Check-in to hotel (Hotel New Savera/Hotel Surya International) in Robertsganj. Take some rest.
- In the evening, visit the Collectorate office in Robertsganj to see the 157-ft high national flag, the highest flag in any office in India. See the sunset at Son View Point which is nearby – it’s a beautiful spot which will give you a panoramic view of the whole Sonbhadra. Visit Robertsganj market to eat the delicious street food and do some local shopping.
- Leave in the morning for Mukkha Falls in Ghorawal block. The journey is beautiful with rice/paddy crops growing on both sides of the roads.
- Take a shower in the Mukkha fall. Relax and eat hot maggi/pakode/snacks there.
- Drive to ancient Shivdwar Temple, nearby Mukkha Fall only. Attend the aarti there and make your wishes. Return back to the hotel.
- Enroute you can visit villages in Ghorawal, where the houses are beautifully made of mud.
- Leave in the morning towards Chopan.
- Take a stop at the Veer Lorik Stone and the fascinating story of the how the stones were formed will leave you mesemerized.
- Continue your journey to visit the world famous Salkhan Fossil Park – consisting of one of the oldest fossils in the world. Understand the history of these fossils and how these were made.
- Then, leave for Agori Fort – one of the famous forts ruled by the Maharajahs with a lot of historical significance and myths surrounding the fort.
- Leave for Mandaleshwar Mahadev Temple from here. The car will go till some point – from there, trek to the top of the cliff. The view from the top of the cliff provides one of the best panoramic views of Sonbhadra and is a treat to watch. Watch the sunset from there and then leave for the hotel after that.
- Leave in the morning for a pleasant drive on SH-5 Dalla Highway with curves and lush green mountains on both sides almost giving you a feel as if you are traveling in Switzerland. Reach Hathinala Biodiversity Park in Duddhi block. Enroute stop at the beautiful Vaishnodevi Mandir and pay your respects to the goddess.
- Also see the famous Dala Cement Factory, one of the largest cement manufacturing plants in India. Reach the biodiversity park which is a very good point for spotting different birds. Waterfall is also active during monsoons.
- Visit the ‘Rishikesh of Sonbhadra’ – Abadi Village in Chopan block while coming back. Sip a cup of hot tea at the Son riverside and enjoy the sunset.
- Return back to the hotel.
- Leave early morning for Renukut side. Drive through mountains and small hills on the SH-5A with picturesque views.
- Cross the Rihand Dam, one of the dams having largest reservoir in India. Stop on the dam road and click photos of this magnificent man-marvel.
- Reach Belwada, also called Mini-Goa and enjoy the sunset view here. It’s one of the most beautiful sites of Sonbhadra.
- Visit the Birla Renukeshwar Mahadev Temple, which is beautifully lit up at night. Attend the night Aarti and immerse yourself in the divine space.
- Leave back for the hotel.
- Check out from the hotel and leave for the Varanasi Airport.
*Extend a day more to visit the Northern Coalfield mines and one of the largest thermal power projects in India